Monday, September 12, 2011

Pot Roast

I laugh every time I look at this picture now because it looks sooooo awfully dry and unappetizing. The good news is that it's the complete opposite. Promise.

What you will need:
  • 1 (3-4 lb.) rump roast
  • 1/4 C. Vegetable oil
  • 1 yellow onion, quartered
  • 1/2 C. red cooking wine
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 C. beef broth
  • Salt&Pepper
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  • Coat both sides of your roast with salt and pepper
  • On medium high heat, add oil to a large pan (I used a Cast Iron pan so I could put it straight into the oven later).
  • Sear the roast on all sides
  • Add onions, garlic and tomato paste into pan and cook until onions are slightly colored
  • Add in the red wine and beef stock
  • Bring the liquid to a simmer, then cover the pan and place into the oven for 2 1/2 hours
  • Let it rest for about 20 minutes after it's done in the oven
Like I said, I used a cast iron pan so it could go straight into the oven, but I'm sure you could transfer the roast and liquid into an oven pan if you wanted. My pan also didn't have a lid that came with it, so I wrap it with tin-foil really tight and it still comes out suuuper tender and amazing and delicious and everything you can think of that's perfect. It's hard to cut it into slices, it falls apart way too easy. (Now you will see the gross picture as proof of my mad skills in getting them into slices right?)

Also, if you'll notice, I don't cook potatoes or carrots with my roasts. I just don't. Deal.

No comments :

Post a Comment