I saw this recipe and thought, wow these will probably be gross, or turn into a sloppy mess, but it's 6 minutes and I want some caramel.
You know those little caramels wrapped up at the check out stands, usually at a craft store? I almost always grab one last second because I love them so much.
These caramels were better than those. Like.....amazing amazing caramels here. I am freaking out. I want to make some more already. Suuuch good flavor, so smooth and silky and AGH just amazing. I only made a slight adjustment to the original recipe, because it didn't call for vanilla but I decided to toss in a tsp. of it. It was a good call. As far as I've seen, my caramels are the only 6 minute caramels that calls for vanilla. I have no idea why that is??? It is so much better!!
What you will need:
- 1/4 C melted butter
- 1/2 C sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 C light karo syrup
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Prepare a well greased 8x8 baking dish, or line the baking dish with wax paper (I've started spraying the wax paper each time I make these now just to make sure)
- Mix butter, syrup, condensed milk, sugar and brown sugar in medium sized microwave safe bowl
- Microwave for 6 minutes, stopping every 2 minutes to stir*
- After the last 2 minutes in the microwave, drop the vanilla in and stir it in
- Pour caramel mixture into prepared baking dish and let is sit for about 1 hour
- Either slice into squares, or roll caramels up in wax paper
*Sometimes caramels have that sugary texture when you chew on them, so I made sure to stir really really well every 2 minutes and after it was done in the microwave. It must have helped because this was silky smooth.