Sunday, March 3, 2013

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus

Being someone that had never tried hummus in her life, I guess I thought my first time trying it should be homemade...and not a recipe that was the "standard" hummus recipe. I feel like it was a smart move though! I watched Guy Fierri make it, but he didn't give any measurements and it wasn't on the website so I kind of went with whatever I thought he did. I'm getting more comfortable with trusting myself in the kitchen with new recipes! Playing around with a recipe for a food I'd never had before? Just go with it :).

One other quick note is that almost all recipe's call for canned chickpeas. Alton Brown said to soak them in the crock pot for 5-6 hours with baking soda an some other stuff to ensure a creamy hummus. I went ahead and got both canned and dried. I used canned for this recipe (pressed for time) and will try soaking dried next time!

What you will need-
*Again, these measurements are mostly my own. I'm not totally sure how much Guy used but guessed based on what things looked like.*
  • 1-2 cans chickpeas, drained and dried
  • 4 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1/2 C minced red onion (not sure if he put this in there, but I think I saw it sitting in this food processor before he added the chickpeas so I threw some in!)
  • 1 jalapeno, sliced
  • 2 adobo chili's in adobo sauce (Just happened to have a couple cans of these on hand. I think he used two? He may have only used one, I used two)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Paprika
  • 1 Roasted bell pepper, sliced*
Directions:
  • Using a blender or food processor (I finally have a good food processor YAY!), blend chickpeas, garlic, onion and jalapeno.
  • Add in the adobo chili's and paprika and blend
  • Add in some olive oil if needed
  • Add in the red pepper and blend, adding in olive oil until you reach your desired consistency
  • Garnish with olive oil and paprika (I think..)
* You can buy jarred roasted red bell peppers. I've used jarred for my Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Sauce. This time I roasted my own. This is the roasting method I use-
  • set your oven to Broil
  • Place the red pepper in an 8x8 baking dish 
  • Roast for about 10 minutes. Once the side facing up is blackening and bubbly rotate it to the next side. 
  • After all sides are roasted, place the pepper in a brown bag to let the pepper "sweat" and cool for handling (about 10 minutes)
  • Peel the blackened skin off of the pepper and cut in half to de-seed

No comments :

Post a Comment