Saturday, April 11, 2015

Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup

So we had a cold and rainy day. Is there anything better than soup when the rain is tapping on your windows? I use to say, "If I had soup every time it was rainy, that's all I'd eat" after living in Portland. 
But now we get to feel like rain is special again ;).

I actually didn't mean to make this on a rainy day. It was just what was on our dinner menu. I had the bread rising for the bread bowls (I tried a new bread bowl recipe and it was only so-so, so I won't be bothering to post the recipe) when I realized it might rain so the girls started getting all excited and sure enough. By the time dinner was served it was raining.


This soup is 100% delightful. Pioneer Woman again. Of course. I wonder when I'll try a new recipe that isn't hers. I'm in no rush for that. She did state not to go crazy with the salt because of the cheese. I used sharp cheddar and I used oooooh probably double what she said in her recipe and I was still adding salt to it at the dinner table so? Just do what she says and you can always add more later if you need to! You can always add more but you can't take it out so better safe than sorry!

I also added cubes of potatoes to mine. I just can't not have them.


What you will need:
  • 1 yellow onion, diced (or minced if you're like me)
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/3 C flour
  • 4 C whole milk
  • 2 C half & half
  • 3-4 crowns broccoli, cut into flourets
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 C grated cheese of your choice
Directions:
  • Melt the butter and saute' your onions with it for a couple of minutes
  • Add in your flour and mix well until it forms into a roux (like a paste)
  • Let it cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly
  • Add in the milk and half & half and blend together
  • Add in the broccoli flourets
  • Let it simmer about 25-30 minutes until the broccoli is tender
  • Add in the cheese and stir until it's all melted in
  • At this point you can either serve it as is or mashed up the broccoli so it's a bit more chunky. OR you can puree' it, which is what I did.

No comments :

Post a Comment