Sunday, April 22, 2012

Samoa Cookie Marbled Bundt Cake


Before you make this cake, you will need to make some dulce de leche. I've heard so many ways to do this. I went with the stove top idea and submerged the sweetened condensed milk in boiling water (always keeping at least 2" of water above the top of the can) and let it simmer for 3 hours.

As for the cake, the first time I made this, I made it exactly as directed. However, I didn't like the frosting much. It felt like I was eating butter and vanilla and could not taste the Dulce de leche at all. So I changed things the second time around and made notes on this recipe but kept the orginal recipe for those that want to do it exact!

What you will need:

Batter #1
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 C. dark brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C. whole milk
  • 3/4 C flour
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Batter #2
  • 1/4 C. oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 C. milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 C. sugar
  • 3/4 C. + 2 T. flour
  • 1/2 C. + 2 T. cocoa powder
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 C. boiling water
Frosting-
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk (now Dulce de leche)
  • 1/2 C. powdered sugar (I used 1/3 C)
  • 2 T. vanilla (I used 1 tsp.)
  • 2 sticks butter, softened (I omitted this entirely)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt (I omitted this as well)
  • 1 C toasted coconut (I omitted this, too and just added it to the topping instead)
Topping-
  • 1 1/2 C toasted coconut
  • 1/2 C. chocolate chips
Directions-

Cake-
  • Make your Dulce de leche
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Mix ingredients for batter #1 in order they are listed, set aside.
  • Mix ingredients for batter #2 in order they are listed, set aside.
  • Grease a bundt pan well
  • Alternate pouring a little from each batter into the bundt pan. It doesn't need to be perfect as this will be a marble cake.
  • Bake in the oven for 1 hour (my oven only needed 40 minutes, so check yours periodically!)
  • While your cake is baking, toast your coconut (there are various ways to do this. I did mine on the stove so I could keep an eye on it and make sure it didn't burn.)
Frosting-
  • Mix all ingredients in order
Topping-
  • Melt your chocolate chips (again, various ways to do this. For me I tossed it in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between until it was melted)
  • Once your cake is done and cooled completely, coat the cake with the frosting
  • Coat the frosting with toasted coconut
  • Pour melted chocolate into ziploc bag and snip the corner off with scissors
  • Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the cake

No comments :

Post a Comment