Sunday, May 19, 2013

Cooking Challenge; Sweet Potato, Cinnamon & Chicken

I posted my first Cooking Challenge up on my Facebook page last week (like my page so you can chime in with your ideas, too!). I asked people to choose any 3 ingredients to try and make a meal out of; Chopped style, if you will. I chose at random, and it was Veronica's ingredients I was challenged with!

Sweet potato
Cinnamon
Chicken

My biggest problem with those ingredients? I HATE sweet potatoes! And cinnamon? To me, that belongs in desserts. It is very rare that I would find that to be acceptable spice in a savory dish. However, this wasn't entirely a "savory" meal I'd be putting together, because although it dealt with potatoes, it was a sweet potato. So it was a comforty, savory, sweet meal I'd need to put together.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

I did take the safe route and tried to come up with a soup. And guess what? I'd honestly give myself a 7 out of 10 for this one. Let me tell you why..


I'll go ahead and take you through my head during this process...
1. I used the cinnamon to flavor the sweet potato as it was boiling. My entire home smelled like cinnamon and sweet potato while it cooked and it was surprisingly heavenly.
2. I felt like a bit of a "nutty" flavor would go well with this, so instead of using olive oil or water to help smooth out my sweet potato in the food processor, I used browned butter instead.
3. I typically like soups to be smooth, so I went ahead and blended the grated garlic and minced onions into the sweet potato puree before mixing it with the broth

What I'd change: 
1. The chicken. I chose to do a soup, so my options for how to incorporate the chicken was a little bit limited for my knowledge, and having it just mixed in didn't fit well. I think croutons would be a better fit to top this off.
2. I am convinced that if I'd blended some roasted red bell peppers into it and kept it thick like a spread for some baguette slices, it would be ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I will be testing that idea out soon.
3. I feel like I copped out with the cinnamon. I could not taste it at all, so I think I'd try and be a little more bold with it next time around.

Bottom Line:
1. It was pretty darn good for someone that doesn't even like sweet potato. But again, omit the chicken and turn it into a spread with some roasted red peppers and it would be to die for.

What you will need:
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled, washed and cubed
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 4 T butter, divided
  • 3 cloves garlic, grated
  • 1/4 C onions, minced
  • 1 T flour
  • 1 C Chicken stock or broth (I had broth on hand)
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • 1/2 C heavy cream
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • Shredded chicken to top (but....lesbianest, you don't need it)
Directions:
  • Boil the cubes of sweet potato with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • Using 2 T of butter, make some browned butter and set aside
  • When the sweet potatoes are tender, add to a blender, food processor or mixer of some kind and blend, adding in the browned butter until smooth
  • Add in garlic and onions and blend again until smooth
  • Using the other 2 T of butter, mix with the flour over medium heat with a whisk until it's smooth and has turned to a light caramel shade to make a roux
  • Add chicken stock/broth and brown sugar into the roux and bring to a boil
  • Turn down heat and let simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring often
  • Add the sweet potato puree to the broth and blend well
  • Add in heavy cream until it reaches desired consistency
  • Add in thyme and simmer until it's blended well and warm
  • Top with chicken (but don't)

1 comment :

  1. This soup looks absolutely delicious (I love sweet potatoes!) and your pictures are amazing!
    We recently launched a new site (MyRecipeMagic.com) and are looking for food bloggers like you to share your recipes. MyRecipeMagic is a site that actually pays bloggers to share their recipes AND drives traffic back to your blog by having the readers come back to your site for the entire recipe. Readers can also get the nutrition info for your recipes, put together their own cookbooks, earn reward points for using the site, and search by ingredients they have available to make yummy recipes like yours.
    We would love to have you join us!
    Have a great day,
    The Sisters
    www.SixSistersStuff.com
    www.MyRecipeMagic.com

    ReplyDelete