Sunday, May 5, 2013

Vanilla-Orange Cream Filled Cupcake & Fresh Orange Frosting

I really really wanted a fresh tasting orang-ee cake. I wanted each element to have fresh orange taste, but I didn't want the entire thing as a whole to be IN YOUR FACE Orange. I put these ideas and flavors together and created a well balanced orange cupcake! I haven't put my heart into a dessert in so long, it was time!

This is considered a "poke cake." The cake is drizzled with orange jello-o after it's baked, cooled and holes poked through it so the flavor settles into the cake.

The filling is a nice spin on the classic "creamsicle" taste with a mixture of vanilla and orange flavors, and the frosting is a homemade butter-cream frosting with fresh orange juice.

 I topped them with coconut and sprinkled with fresh orange zest. I personally don't care for toasted coconut, but I'm sure it would be great if you like that sort of thing!


What you will need:

THE CAKE
  • One box vanilla cake mix (or your favorite vanilla cake recipe. I have yet to find one that I love so this has that typical "box cake" flavor. Booo)
  • Ingredients the boxed vanilla cake mix calls for 
  • 1 pkg orange jell-o, prepared
  • Muffin tins
THE CREAMSICLE FILLING
  • 1 pkg vanilla pudding, prepared with 1 C cold milk
  • 1 pkg jell-o mix (not prepared)*
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 8 oz. carton cool whip
THE FROSTING
  • 1/3 C butter, softened
  • 2 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 5 T fresh orange juice
  • 1 tsp. orange zest
Directions:

THE CAKE
  • Bake cupcakes according to box directions
  • Once the cupcakes are cooled completely, poke holes throughout the cake
  • Pour a small spoonful of prepared jell-o over each cupcake (to be honest I used a medicine dropper)
  • Refrigerate for 4 hours (or over night)
THE CREAMSICLE FILLING
  • Prepare vanilla pudding and mix with the jell-o mix and vanilla
  • Fold in the cool whip
  • Fill the cupcakes with the filling
THE FROSTING
  • Mix butter, powdered sugar, orange juice and zest until it reaches desired consistency. 
  • Add more fresh orange juice if you want more flavor!
*I have this "thing" where I feel like fruity desserts taste like fluoride. So, I didn't use the entire package of jell-o mix in the filling.


No comments :

Post a Comment