Monday, January 20, 2014

Pecan Pie Bars

Today was Martin Luther King Jr. Day and I wanted to make a treat that was relavent for after our FHE lesson on MLKJ and diversity. I discovered one of his favorite desserts was Pecan Pie. I have never had Pecan Pie, and obviously have never made one. I resolved to try it out anyway and skimmed through some recipes. I found this recipe for Pecan Pie Bars. They just looked sooo good I HAD to try them!

And, since I always try to tie in our treats with our FHE lesson...

"Don't *pecan* anyone! We're all equal!"
("pick-on"...get it..?)

SOOO...it turns out I really really like the pecan pie flavor thing. These were so good! I'll definitely be making them again!

Apologies for the grainy picture :(.

What you will need:

Crust

  • 2 C flour
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2/3 C cold butter, cut into chunks (10 2/3 T)
Filling
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 C karo syrup
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 2 T butter, melted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 2/3 C pecans, chopped
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Prepare a 9x13 baking dish lined with tin foil
  • Blend flour, sugar and salt in large bowl
  • Cut in cold butter chunks until it forms into coarse crumbs
  • Dump the crust mixture into the baking dish and pack it evenly throughout the dish
  • Bake for 20 minutes
  • While the crust is baking, whisk together eggs, karo syrup, sugar, brown sugar, melted butter and vanilla 
  • When that is thoroughly mixed and smooth, add in the chopped nuts and blend
  • When the crust is done baking, pour the filling on top of the crust (freshly out of the oven) and spread evenly over the crust
  • Bake for another 25-30 minutes
  • Allow to cool completely and cut into bars

No comments :

Post a Comment