Thursday, August 4, 2016

Thin Mint Brownie Ice Cream Cake


 I have some pretty big news! Yesterday our family went to Lagoon, and while we were there we wandered around Pioneer Villiage. We came upon a little shop that had a sign saying they sold Swig sugar cookies! I absolutely HAD to get one. I had only ever heard about them (a lot) up until that point. MAN were they good!!!! My husband had to listen to me marvel at how they got it to the perfect sweetness (both the cookie and the frosting) without feeling like it was just a bunch of powdered sugar, or worse, feeling the sugar while you ate it. It was just.....perfection. I turned to my 9 year old and asked if she wanted some.

"No.....I only like your sugar cookies."

Um, what? I tried to convince her that these were like mine but better! She was insistent on the fact that no, she doesn't like any other sugar cookies but mine and just won't even bother trying any others. This was news to me. 

The same thing happened for her birthday dinner. Her favorite food is taco's so I'm thinking okay we can go out for tacos or something. She said NO. "Mom's tacos." She likes mine more than anything.

SAME THING HERE, FOLKS. She wanted an ice cream cake for her birthday but wanted ME to make it. I'll be honest, I'd never made an ice cream cake before. I'd spread some ice cream over an oreo crumble before but the cake addition thing was new for me. 

She absolutely loves mint chocolate chip ice cream (and anything mint really). I spotted our girls scout thin mint cookie brownie mix in the cupboard I'd picked up since I had an Ibotta rebate for it. Why not give it a try?

I'm not sure why I decided to crumble the brownies and press them into a pan. Probably because the instructions say to use an 8x8 or 9x9 pan and I wanted an ice cream cake that was 13x9. So I was able to make a larger ice cream cake with just one box of brownies. The base layer was just a bit thinner than maybe some people would like their cake to be in it. 

I also decided to put the cool whip layer between the ice cream and ganache. In my head I was thinking that the ganache might melt the top part of the ice cream if I put it directly on top of it. But in reality, I'm sure if I'd just dumped it on when it was completely cool it would have been fine? So, do your layers however you'd like! You could even do ice cream as the bottom layer and brownie it up on top! Who cares! Have fun!

What you will need:  
  • 13x9 cake pan
  • 1 box Pillsbury girl scout thin mint cookie brownie mix
  • 1 tub mint chocolate chip ice cream
  • 1 tub cool whip
  • 1 c. heavy cream
  • 8 oz. baking chocolate chopped up (I used German chocolate)
Directions:
  • Bake brownies according to directions
  • When brownies are completely cooled, crumble them up and press them into 13x9 cake pan
  • Place brownie layer in the freezer to firm up a bit
  • Pull out ice cream and cool whip and let it thaw for about 20 minutes so it's spreadable
  • Scoop out all the ice cream onto the brownies and spread evenly
  • Spread cool whip on top of ice cream
  • Freeze again until firm
  • Place chopped up chocolate into a bowl
  • Heat up 1 c of heavy cream until just boiling
  • Pour cream over the chocolate an let it sit for about 5 minutes before stirring
  • Stir gently until well mixed and you have a nice smooth and creamy ganche
  • Either let it cool and spread it over the cool whip, or you can drizzle the top right before serving. Or you can let it cool completely and then whip it up into a frosting. The choice is yours!

No comments :

Post a Comment