Monday, July 9, 2018

Rock Fish Taco & Not Gross Slaw


I guess one cool thing about having a recipe blog as my "job" is that I get to decide when I do it. So, here I am months and months after my last post (which wasn't even a recipe). We were blessed with our 4th child at the end of August and I decided to focus on that! Things have settled and I am good to go now. Wahoo!

My father in law took a fishing trip to Alaska and caught some amaaazing Rock fish. He had it filleted there and fresh frozen to bring back for us! Ooooh it was a beauty. Since it's more a mild fish, we were trying to think of what to do with it and how to season it. We decided we'd take the fish taco route. We were SHOCKED at the amazing flavor the fish had on its own! Somehow the seasonings were paired really well with it to where you could taste the seasoning and the fish both separately while having the flavors compliment each other as well.

Now, about the slaw. My husband and I are not slaw people. We can't even figure out how there are so many people who are. It makes zero sense to us. But, we couldn't just not have slaw with it. It's a fish taco. So this is a slaw that works without being the gross slaw ;). I actually just drizzled the dressing made for the slaw on my taco by itself without the slaw at all. My husband did both. We taste tested the dressing for the slaw and it was really good, but we were a little baffled that there was no garlic in it. "Should we add garlic? We never skip garlic. Should we? It's good without it....but we love garlic so much. Yes? No?" We didn't add any! Who are we?! It just had this magic flavor that seemed so right with a fish taco, we left it as is.

So, here's the deal. My husband knows a guy named George. He's our food guy. Everyone should have a food guy. He recommended Sazon Goya seasoning, claiming that, "if you don't want to spend the money on saffron, but want incredible taste, go with Sazon Goya." Yes, sir. Correct, sir.

(For the record, with the going price of a lb. of saffron being anywhere from $500-$5000, I don't buy saffron. I have tried it exactly one time at a brunch at The Grand America and I didn't like it. So I was nervous at his recommendation for this in place of saffron. Like I said, though, he was correct. Trust the process.)




What you will need:

Fish-

  • Rock Fish fillets (I mean, if you don't have Rock Fish freshly caught in Alaska...cod will do ;) )
  • 1 packet Sazon Goya seasoning
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 T oil 
Slaw-
  • Green cabbage, julienne
  • Red onion, sliced
  • Cilantro, chopped
  • jalapeno, diced
Dressing for the slaw-
  • 1/2 C salsa verde
  • 1/4 C mayo
  • 1 T lime
  • Hot sauce to taste
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions:

Fish-
  • Bring a large saute pan to medium-high heat and add the T of oil
  • Rinse your fillets and pat dry
  • Rub Sazon Goya and salt/pepper on each side of the fillets
  • Lay each fillet in the pan and cook each side 2-3 minutes
Slaw-
  • Slice, chop and dice ingredients and add to a bowl.
  • I don't have any measurements, just go with "some of each" and see where it gets you. Live on the edge.
Dressing for the slaw-
  • Add each ingredient into a blender and blend until it's all mixed until smooth and saucy.
  • Pour the dressing over the slaw and mix well
  • Maybe reserve some on its own in case you just want to drizzle the goodness by itself. Like me. Be like me.



No comments :

Post a Comment