Friday, June 10, 2011

Never Fail Chocolate Cake & Frosting

I didn't think to take a picture of this cake for the recipe blog, so you get the picture with my cropped out baby on her 1/2 birthday. I am in love with this chocolate cake recipe and I insist on having it for my birthday, but it's called "Never Fail Chocolate Cake," and somehow my first time making it I failed horribly. So, I didn't attempt it again until I was serving it to people. Thank goodness I didn't fail. I used the same frosting I posted on THIS post.

What you will need:

Cake
  • 1 C. oil
  • 1 C. Sour milk (you can just add 1 Tbsp. lemon juice to 1 C. of milk)
  • 1 C. boiling water
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 C. Sugar
  • 2 3/4 C. Flour
  • 2 tsp. Baking soda
  • 1 tsp. Salt
  • 1/3 C. Cocoa
Frosting

  • 1/4 C butter
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Cocoa
  • 3 Tbsp Milk
  • 2 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. Vanilla

Directions:

Cake
  • Combine ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition
  • Pour into cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes
Frosting
  • In sauce pan, bring butter, cocoa and milk to a boil
  • Add in vanilla, mix
  • Add in powdered sugar
This frosting cools pretty fast, which makes it have a fudge feel to it (which I love), so be prepared to spread it immediately after mixing it up!

3 comments :

  1. Does the boiling water cook the eggs? Also you forgot to say vinegar/lemon juice after 1 Tbsp. And I think that you can also substitute buttermilk for sour milk. Thanks for posting this it was soooo good and I'm not even a chocolate lover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good eye Christine, I was just checking to see if you were paying attention. ;)Yeah I'm pretty sure buttermilk is fine, I have been too scared to do anything but this recipe with me having failed the first time and all hahah. I'm paranoid now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you can use buttermilk instead of sour milk. My red velvet cake recipe and banana bread recipe both call for sour milk and I use buttermilk instead :)

    ReplyDelete