Friday, December 16, 2011

Candy Cane Cookies

This was my first time making these. As you can see, I need some practice rolling out dough and twisting them together. Also, I didn't bother making red and settled with a nice pink color :). They tasted great! I thought it was interesting that it called for powdered sugar to be used in the recipe, but gave it a try anyway and it works, especially with the almond flavor!

What you will need:

  • 1 C butter
  • 1 C powdered sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 1/2 C flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Directions:
  • Mix the ingredients together in the order they are listed and set aside
  • Repeat that step in a separate bowl with the same ingredients (so really, you actually need 2 C butter, 2 C powdered sugar, etc. etc.) but with this batch of dough, mix in some red food coloring
  • Take some of the non-dyed dough and roll it into a log
  • Repeat with some of the red-dyed dough
  • Twist the logs together and shape into a candy cane
  • Repeat until all of your dough is used up
  • Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 9-11 minutes
***This will make about 30 cookies. I had zero need for 30 candy cane cookies, so I just made one batch of the dough, split it in half and dyed the other half red so I came out with about 15 cookies instead***

1 comment :