Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes

This is my favorite way to make garlic mashed red potatoes. Once I'd played around with some spices I ended up with this and came to love doing it this way. I hate sweet potatoes, so in my mind this is the healthiest I can get with potatoes. :) I love the flavor and you don't need any gravy so that does take the health factor up a notch, right? Also, you may notice the fairly large amount of garlic I use. That is personal taste, but honestly the amount I use for this will not make you feel like you're eating straight garlic. It's not too subtle and not too over powering. Promise.


What you will need:

  • 6-8 red potatoes, washed (I leave the skin on)
  • 8 cloves garlic, grated
  • 1 1/2 T onion powder
  • 1/2 T olive oil
  • 3 T sour cream
  • Milk to desired consistency
  • Dash of salt (or keep it out if you're trying to cut back)
Directions:
  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil
  • Add 4 cloves grated garlic, 1 T onion powder and salt to the boiling water
  • Cube the cleaned red potatoes and put them into the boiling water
  • Allow to boil for about 20 minutes, or until potato slides off a fork when you try to pick it up out of the water
  • Drain the potatoes (I save some of the water to steam my broccoli with)
  • In the now empty pot you boiled your potatoes in, grate the last 4 cloves of garlic into the pot
  • Add 1/2 T olive oil and saute' garlic for about 2 minutes
  • Pour potatoes back into the pot with the garlic
  • Add the sour cream, 1/2 T onion powder and a little bit of milk (I also add another dash of salt cause I love salt!)
  • Mash them up a little until most of the pieces have been mashed once or so
  • Using a hand mixer, whip those potatoes and add in milk until it's reached the desired consistency 

No comments :

Post a Comment