Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Crushed Taters


Two things to say about this recipe.

1. My husband kind of just thinks potatoes are "eh." That doesn't make sense to me. I'm an Idaho girl. He's an Idaho boy. He must love potatoes as much as I do. He doesn't. If I didn't love him so much I might pick legit fights about it when I'm feeling grumpy but lucky for him, I love him a lot. So when I'm grumpy I pick fights about other stupid things instead. Win/win, right?

Where was I? He thinks potatoes are "eh." Except for these. He says these are his favorite and actually gets excited when I make them.

2. I found the recipe from Pioneer Woman, however she calls them Crash Hot Potatoes (I can't help but call them crushed taters) and makes them according to how normal potato lovers would make them. I, however, am dealing with Mr. Fancy Pants that has a crazy refined palate and knew right away I'd be in need of a potato a little more jazzed up with something other than just salt and peppa. So our recipe's are the same, but quite different. I hope at least a little of this makes any sense.



What you will need:
  • Red potatoes (however many you think you want. I usually eat two and my kids eat one. I think my husband eats two or three, depending)
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • Olive oil
  • Seasonings of choice (I have just been using some mixed blends in a thing I got at some gourmet kitchen store. I tend to go for the ones with some thyme, rosemary, garlic-ee blends)
  • Salt & pepper (I like the kosher salt that's big and crunchy. Mmm)
Directions:
  • Boil your potatoes until they are fork tender (about 20-25 minutes)
  • Drizzle a baking sheet with olive oil
  • When potatoes are done, place them on the baking sheet 
  • Preheat oven to 450*
  • Use a potato masher and press down to crush the potatoes (don't go all the way down when you press. Just a little smoosh is fine)
  • Slowly lift the masher back up and push any potato still on the masher back down onto the potato
  • Melt your butter in a small saucepan
  • Grate the 4 cloves garlic into it
  • Spoon a little garlic butter over each potato
  • Season your potatoes
  • Drizzle the tops of the potatoes with a little olive oil
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes

No comments :

Post a Comment