Thursday, September 24, 2015

Sausage and Tortellini Tomato Soup

I'm not exactly sure how to word the name of this soup. Tortellini and sausage? Basil Tortellini.....Sausage, basil and Tortellini soup..I don't know. Also I didn't really know what I was doing when I made this. I had about 3 different recipes swirling around in my head so I combined them all and winged the whole thing.

My whole family scarfed the whole thing up. My daughter who haaaates tomatoes had SECONDS. It has so much flavor! It doesn't just take like a can of tomatoes. Not even close. I was shocked. I served it with some Crack Bread in case you need an idea.

I was extremely surprised at how fast this came together, especially since I started it without really knowing what direction I was going with it!


What you will need:
  • 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion, minced
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 32 oz. box chicken (or vegetable) broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 c basil, chopped
  • 1 pkg. frozen tortellini
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • Crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 C heavy cream
  • 1/2 C grated Parmesan
Directions:
  • Brown the Italian sausage
  • While that's browning, mince up your onions and peel your garlic
  •  Heat up the olive oil in a large pot 
  • Add the onions and saute' for a few minutes
  • Add in the garlic and saute' for another minute or so
  • While the onions and garlic are being sauted, dump the two cans of tomatoes into a blender
  • Add in the onions and garlic to the blender and blend well
  • Pour the puree back into the pot and add the box of chicken broth
  • Stir to combine and drop the two bay leaves in
  • Chop up your basil and add into the soup
  • Add in your seasonings
  • Add in the heavy cream, stir in
  • Add in the sausage, stir in
  • Add in the tortellini, stir in
  • Add in the parmesan, stir in
  • Let simmer for about 10 minutes (this is where I prepped my crack bread and got it into the oven and set the table)

No comments :

Post a Comment