Saturday, October 10, 2015

Pumpkin Bars

I was in my early twenties when I tried pumpkin bars for the first time. (???!!!!) A sweet neighbor brought some by and at first I thought it was some yummy cake with vanilla frosting. My heart sank a little when I learned it was both pumpkin bars AND cream cheese frosting. I hadn't totally converted to the cream cheese thing at that point.

They sat there and I was a little unwilling to eat them, but I didn't feel happy about tossing them out. So I stuck them in the fridge.

Well, true to self, my "tensies" kicked in at night (my husband and I call our craving for food "tensies" because it always ends up happening around 10pm) so I decided to give them a try.

UMMM heck yes! Where had they been all my life? And cream cheese frosting? What in the world? The most confusing time in my life right there. (Not really...)

I've loved them ever since. But now, I always like them chilled a little. It's just my thing. Maybe a reminder to try new foods or be open to new experiences. I just got deep there for a second!

So here they are. Mmm.


What you will need:

Pumpkin Bars
  • 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
  • 1 2/3 C sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 C canola oil
  • 2 C flour
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. all spice
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda 
  • 1 tsp. salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 2 C powdered sugar
  • 6 oz. cream cheese
  • 1/4 C butter, softened
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1-2 T milk 
Directions:

Pumpkin Bars
  • Preheat the oven to 350*
  • Mix together the pumpkin, sugar, eggs, vanilla and oil
  • Add in the cinnamon, all spice and mix
  • Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix together 
  • Spread the batter into an ungreased jelly roll pan
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes
  • Let cool completely
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • Mix all ingredients together until smooth and creamy
  • Spread over pumpkin bars when the bars are completely cooled
  • Chill in the fridge (optional)

No comments :

Post a Comment